The FIRE Africa Grants will provide three grants of up to US$3,000 each for projects aligned with one of the following categories below. This Grant is for projects that will be implemented within a 12-16 month period.
The Fund for Internet Research and Development – FIRE Africa – is one of Africa’s leading Grants and Awards programmes designed to encourage, support and develop innovative online solutions to Africa’s education, information, infrastructure and communication needs.
FIRE Africa actively encourages Francophone, Lusophone, female-led projects, projects originating in post-conflict countries, and projects that support isolated communities. We also encourage projects that use technology to address the specific challenges faced by women and girls, disabled people or marginalised groups.
An Award is a prize for a job well done. The FIRE Africa Awards seek to acknowledge innovative initiatives in Africa that have made concrete contributions through the use of information and communications technologies and have had a proven impact on the region’s social and economic development.
Organizations based in the Africa or Indian Ocean region
Eligible Funding Categories:
Three main categories are available, and several subcategories for applicants’ applications.
- Internet development.
- Internet for social inclusion.
- ICT for Development.
The FIRE Africa Awards will be presented to ongoing initiatives or completed projects that submit concrete evidence of their impact. Projects pending execution or which are about to begin will not be accepted.
Winning initiatives must meet three main requirements.
- All project proposals must have a technological component through which they seek to solve development issues.
- Proposed solutions must be innovative, i.e., they must present new strategies, notions, ideas, methods and processes that respond to social needs and can broaden and strengthen communities.
- Finally, successful initiatives must have a proven impact, i.e., they must submit indicators and evidence that support the creation of value for the target communities.
Benefit of Award:
The FIRE Award consists of a USD 3,000 cash prize plus full travel and accommodation for one representative of each project to attend the awards ceremony, and participate in sessions which will be held in Switzerland during the 2017 Internet Governance Forum.
Duration of Program:
- Selection process: 1 August – 30 August 2017
- Announcement of successful projects: 1 September 2017
1st August 2017
How to Apply: